The American Osteopathic College of Dermatology (AOCD) has updated and released their dermatology database app. Dermatology DB is based on their newly revised online dermatology database that includes the ability to print and/or email patient handouts.
AOCD brings that information to the point-of-care in a handy patient-oriented app for iOS with an extensive list of dermatology conditions, medications used to treat those conditions, and common dermatology procedures. Each subsection gives users detailed but not overwhelming amounts of information with quality photos when appropriate. Finally, the app contains a section on common dermatology terms (no pictures in that section, however). Providers could also consider “prescribing” the app to their patients as a tool. It is, however, only available on iOS.
A similar app from the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) called Dermatology A-Z is an authoritative alternative to the AOCD app with some additional features — for finding a dermatologist, for example. The AAD app is available for both iOS and Android.
- Comprehensive list of included conditions, drugs, procedures
- Appropriate level of detail in each section without overwhelming patients
- Information on new drugs for multiple conditions included
- Not many pictures for described conditions (typically just one picture)
- No references or information about the app’s authors
- Not available for Android at this time
This post originally appeared on iMedicalApps.com.